07 March 2008

Of jelly-bellies and jobs

I wanted to expand a little on two points I made on my last post.

First off, jelly-bellies are amazing. I'm pretty sure I could spend the better part of an entire day experimenting with various combonations of flavors. Although, there are a few I could do without. There's something wrong with eating a tiny, chewy, sugary candy that tastes like popcorn. I dunno, I expect crunchy and dry with that taste, not chewy and sugary.

Second, I have thought alot more about what I said about job possiblities. After looking at various jobs, and working on my resume, etc., I've come to realize some things about myself. I still have no idea what particular line of work I want to go into, but I have a much better idea of what it is I want to do. I want to help people. I know, that sounds cliche, but I'm feeling called to it. I have no idea how yet, but almost every job I've looked at and considered involves working directly with people (teaching, admin counselor at a school, working with disabled people, etc.). I see my main areas of strengh to be working well with people, and enjoying multiple tasks throughout the day, instead of doing the same thing all day. And I'm beginning to realize that its these skills (among others) that I need to consider and base my job off of. As much as I enjoy design work, I see myself being much more useful in a different position.

One of the positions I looked at in Bellingham paid ~$36k a year. I consider this to be a pretty good wage, esp. compaired to what I'm making now. I was talking to my grandma about this, and she indicated that she thought I was worth twice that. I know that was the sweet, grandmotherly thing to say, but it got me thinking. To be honest, I was almost offended by her saying this. Is my value based on what I get paid for my job? I mean, I consider my job right now to be highly valued, but I certainly don't see it reflected in my paycheck. And on the other hand, I see people with relatively uninvolved jobs making $80k a year. Does that mean that they are more valuable than me? If I find a job that I feel I am very well suited for that only pays $20k a year, should I take it over a job where I am not as well utilized, but get paid alot more? I dunno, there are obvious advantages either way. And strong considerations both ways. I just don't want my worth to be completely wrapped up in my salary.

______ of the day: I dunno, I'm still trying to figure it out.

The searching Ogukuo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

That's why I didn't want JellyBellys at first. Because of the popcorn-flavored ones. Good thing I have mad communication skills and told you that. Ahem.