08 July 2006

This post's for you

Heres a special posting dedicated to those who get up on Saturday mornings and check everyone's blogs first thing. Sadly enough, I did that myself this morning, right after checking my email. I've got a wonderful pattern of checking my gmail account, groupwise account, blogspot blogs, xanga blogs, and facebook. Almost always in that order. And people say that interpersonal communication skills have gone the way of front porches and knowing your neighbors. So, instead of reading this, go outside!!! Its a beautiful day!!! (Thank you U2 for the background insperation) Looks like we got enough rain last night to clean up everything, and freshen up the earth. And yet, instead of enjoying the true fullness of life, you are sitting here reading this inside on a cold, impersonal computer. And sadly enough, I'm writing it on the same horrible beast. What cars did to knowing your neighbors a hundred years ago, computers are doing to knowing anyone now. Instead of talking to someone to find out how they are doin, we check their blog. Instead of writing someone a quick note and giving it to them, we write on someones facebook wall. Email has cheapened letters to the point of ridiculousness. Our wonderful, time-saving, convienent advances in technology have taken us to the point of being able to isolate ourselves from any form of real human contact at all. Not to mention contact with nature. I also check the weather report in the morning. I do that in front of my computer instead of walking up the stairs and looking out the fricken window. If I need to buy something, I look it up online, if I wanna talk to someone, I email them, if I wanna know whats happening, I check drudgereport, if I wanna see nature, I look up pictures online. What would happen to our culture if the internet went down? (Lets all pray it happens) Its getting to the point where our entire lives revolve around a cold calculating machine sitting on the desk. If we lost that, God forbid, we may actually have to talk to someone in person!! We may regress to the horrible point in human history where we take the time to ask someone how they are, or write (as in those archaic tools, pen and paper) someone a personal note, read a newspaper out on the front porch to see whats happening in the world, look out the window to find out if its raining or not, take a walk around town or in a park instead of surfing the net aimlessly, enjoying real human company instead of e-friends.
On that slightly psychotic (but all too clearly spewed out) note, I'm gonna go for a bike ride, and then return to my house and (sigh) sit in front of my computer some more.
_____ of the day: I thought these devices were supposed to make life easier, not more complicated.
The e-Ogukuo

No comments: