18 July 2006

I'm really in a sticky wicket

I like that saying, think its prolly related to cricket (the game, not the horse). But I really am sticky, lots of tree sap on my arms from work. Even a brutal assalt of shampoo (I couldn't find real poo, hahahahaha), body wash, and a bar of soap didn't get it all off. But, oh well, I guess its goes nicely with all the little red dots on my arms. Working with spruce trees is torture. Especially when its hot outside, and you have no one to talk to, and no radio. Oh, and did I mention 9 straight hours of it? Ick. Theres a lesson in this: go to college!!! Oh wait, that doesn't work. I mean, go to college, and actually use your degree!! I will be using most of my free time this week to finish up a theoritical design project I'm working on to convice my boss to move me to design and save me from the torture of steaking spruce trees all day every day. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll move to the Rockies up in B.C. and sell racoon pelts to make a living.
So, on a completly different note: Spanglish. Just watched that again this past weekend. I like the movie, I think it has alot to say if you actually pay attention to it for more than entertainment value. True, as stated on someone else's blog, the ending leaves you kinda wondering what happens with the family, which I wish was wrapped up. But, the general idea is given, and I think its a respectable ending. Because it takes a different approach than Hollywood normally would. Normally, the guy would run off with the hot young house maid and leave his bitchy wife with the kids. How more Hollywood can you get? Fast action, cheating, hot women, its the perfect formula. But this one took the respectable approach, the guy sticks with his wife, even tho she's obviously flawed, and the Flor thinks of her daughter over herself. I really wish I could see how the family gets thru the wife cheating, and the husband being strongly tempted to leave her, but taking her back. Probably not sequel-worthy, tho. Theres another semi-underplayed theme goin on in the movie, too: The pressures of success and how people deal with it. John Clasky is extremely nervous about his revue, so much so that he doesn't even want a perfect score, it would require too much of him, he's afraid of success. Deborah Clasky is trying to be successful in the way of being a perfect woman: fit, beautiful, has it all. She can't handle her own life or herself, and feels the need to constantly excersize to try to keep in shape, have an affair because shes not sure of her real family, and force her daughter to be something she isn't. Eveyln Wright (the mother-in-law) is an alcaholic who seemingly had a very successful past, and either can't handle the past fame, or the fact that she is no longer a popular singer. Flor is driven to a different country to find a successful life for her daughter. Not a bad thing at all, but still driven by success. Christina is dazzeled by the Clasky's wealth, and wants to be like them. It seems the only one in the movie who has a real grasp on happiness is Bernice. Ironically shes the not-so-pretty, kinda overweight daughter of the Clasky's, the one you'd think would be the least happy of everyone. Her mom is trying to change her, she knows Christina is prettier than her, and yet, she seems happy with herself and who she is. I think Hollywood accidentally stumbled onto the truth, success isn't everything, and can very well ruin a person even, true happiness comes from yourself. Ok, so an oversimplified view, perhaps a bit off, but unless I go into great detail, it's gonna have to stand.
So, thats enough soap-boxing for today, back to the designing.
_____ of the day: why do birds suddenly appear?
The sticky Ogukuo

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I don't know where the picture was, except that it was our first view of the Valley on choir tour. Nice, eh? Oh, and I had to give your phone number to someone today...just don't let it go to your head.

Andrea said...

Ahem. Perhaps.

Kunnari said...

It was probably some hot girl calling for me. Sorry Phil.