28 December 2006

May the success of God go with you. Cause its not going with me!

Well, the inevitable happened last night. I got into a fight with my Grandma about music. 6 months ago I gave her a copy of Better Than Dead Air: The EP so she could hear what OJK sounded like. Suprisingly her and my Grandpa listened to it alot, had my uncle listen to it, and they liked it. And by like it I mean they didn't throw the CD at a cow. They liked it as much as old people can like rock. She told me there was just something missing about it tho. I held my breath and waited for it.......and she asked if we were a Christian band. I knew it was coming, it has been for a long time now. So I explaned that we were 4 Christian guys in a band. She asked if our lyrics were Christian. This led to a conversation on music and bands and Christian bands and why she thought I was condemned to hell. Ok, she didn't say that, but she did say that we would be much more successful if our music was Christian. Not because of the market for Christian music, but because God blesses those who serve in his kingdom. At this point my dad couldn't take it any longer and asked her (keep in mind this is his Mother In Law) if she believed Rockafeller was the most Christian man to ever live. "Well, no, of course not" she said. The arguement ensued that he was vastly successful in business, and that must have been a direct blessing from God for being such a good Christian. I don't think my grandma liked that any cause it basically shot her theory down to heresy. Needless to say, the conversation soon ended and I (with some well timed and well spoken help from my dad) convinced everyone in the room (with the exclusion of my grandma probably) that an artist in any medium need not be expressly Christian to be influencial, successful or a Christian. So in the end, she said she has no doubt our music will be popular and I probably got myself written out of the will. She said we would be popular, but unless we were expressly Christian, we wouldn't be successful. I'm interested to see if she brings it up again, I kinda hope she does. My dad later thanked me for most likely getting us disowned from the family. Hehehe. I fould the whole thing rather an educational experiance (although it was my grandma who got schooled), and entertaining, especially when my dad jumped in on my side. So thats my grand adventure from the evening.
______ of the day: Hope floats, but kitchen sink.
The 'holey-bread!-break-is-almost-over!' Ogukuo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

...you probably wouldn't understand...