21 December 2006

Friends and Theology (not related, just my chosen rant topics tonight)

People are leaving, most have left. Some I'll never see again. Or rarely will. I miss them already. Maybe sticking around Dordt will make things harder in the long run. Instead of a clean break, I deal with losing friends every few months. So heres a question, is it worth sticking around for the quality times you know you'll have if it also prolongs the pain of goodbyes? I could be back in CA right now not caring about people leaving Dordt. My mood would be better, I'd be happier. But I'd also have missed all the fun of this past semester. And the fun of this coming semester, even tho its gonna suck with people leave in May as well. I dunno what the answer is. Maybe its a good life lesson. Or maybe I'll keep stronger long distance friendships with these people because I stuck around. Time will tell, I guess.
Saturday I head down to Blair, NE. As near as I can tell, I get to bake brownies and Christmas cookies, have spagetti for supper, and sleep on a sofa bed. Yay. I'm looking forward to it. And Sunday I head to Eppley Airfield, Denver, Sacramento, and home (God and weather willing, mostly God, of course). This will be the first time flying on a Sunday. Perhaps that doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is to me. I really wanted to book a flight on Friday or Saturday, but Sunday being Christmas Eve, it was much cheaper (and it had to do with work sch, among other things). Growing up, Sunday was reserved for church, family time, relaxation, and naps. We never went out to eat, shopping, or even gassed up the car. Nothing that would require us to "work", or to make others "work". I still try to avoid eating out or shopping or anything like that on Sunday. I know, that sounds old fashioned and very letter of the law. I struggle with what to make of the whole thing. Of course, theres the OT law, very strict and rule oriented, and the NT interpretation by Jesus that encouraged the spirit of the law, but how far before the meaning is lost altogether? I guess for me, Sunday is more about what you do, not what you don't do. And by doing something like flying, I believe I'm missing out on the important aspects of Sunday, such as relaxing. And I could try to justify it by saying I'll nap on the plane, or I can read the Bible on my layover. Way to aspire to that letter of the law!! I know Pastor Herm did a sermon a while back on the meaning of the Sabboth, and he came to a very different conclusion than what I hold to. So does that mean I'm wrong? Of course, if I come to the conclusion that I agree with him, it goes against what was taught in the church I grew up in, so would that make me wrong? What a wonderful catch-22. So the answer is I don't know. Perhaps it isn't a defined sin to grocery shop on Sunday or go out for coffee after church. But its something I personally am gonna try to avoid. And please don't take this as me preaching at you if you do those things on Sunday, I'm not. I'm merely working it out in my own mind. You're just lucky (or bored) enough to come along for the ride.
So, as with so many other posts, I again have no idea where this came from, just a rant. Now I turn to the panel for your input....
_____ of the day: Today is the first day of winter, 4:30 am, in Iowa, and its raining outside!! Not snowing, sleeting, freezing rain, no, real rain!!!!
The breaked Ogukuo

No comments: