29 June 2006

Imp of the perverse

You know what that is? Imp of the perverse? Its that thing inside of you that tells you to push the big red button tagged "DO NOT PUSH". I mean, you wanna push it just because you know you shouldn't. Same thing that tells you to jump off a cliff when you're standing at the edge. Not cause you wanna kill yourself, there really isn't a reason outside of just wanting to do it cause you know you shouldn't/can't.
I think its the same thing that makes people want to watch torture in movies. I mean, you know that its something that you really shouldn't be interested in, you should be disgusted by it. And yet, you want to watch it. I just walked out of Resevoir Dogs in a scene where I guy cut off a cops ear. Not like in a fight, but the cop was tied to a chair, gagged, the whole bit. Then the guy went out to his car to get a can of gas. At this point, I really didn't want to know what happened next, so I decided to leave and do something only slightly more useful (that would be blogging, for those of you short on reasoning skills).
So I guess thats sorta a long way of writing something out to pose a question of why do people find that entertaining? I don't care what genre of movie you like, or weather you consider your taste in movies good or not. Thats preferance, nothing more. But why is torture considered entertaining? I personally find it revolting. Silly me, I guess I'm just uncultured. Some would consider me to have poor taste in movies (which I don't care about, I mean, I like what I like, you like what you like), and therefore I am not allowed to voice my opinion. But, being not allowed to do something is more than enough of a reason to do it.
So thats my little rant for the night, go ahead and scoff me off, dance all over my opinion and debunk it on whatever basis you want to. If I am entitled to my opinion (which I am, no matter how invalid you want to tell yourself it is), you are most certainly entitled to yours.
_____ of the day: Um, Thursdays have always struck me as odd.
The Thursday-ed Ogukuo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I think I may have pushed the big red button when I slammed my bedroom door today.....
I can't say I enjoy watching torture myself...reminds me of a Buddhist temple in China.