05 May 2008

I love the smell of irony in the morning

Today at our weekly meeting I realized a wonderful dichotomy that really sums up my job. My official job title is "Certified Instructor". Its an appropriate title, right? I've always thought so. Part of my job is to write daily assessments of what each boy does with his time, and how we interact with them. And for reasons unbeknownst to me, people get really cranky when we actually do this. We are required to sugar coat everything to the point where someone reading these assessments would see no reason for our boys to be in a group home. We are even given a list of words that we are not allowed to use in writing these assessments. One of these words is "instruct". I'm not allowed to write "I instructed so-and-so to do their chores". Thus, by the very rules of my job as an instructor, I am not allowed to instruct.
Ladies and Gentlemen, I remove my hat and take a bow towards the bureaucracy that has contradicted itself into so many knots that I am not even allowed to live up to my job title.
I find this little nugget of irony to be not only hilarious, but also emblematic of what is wrong with my job.
Thats all I got for today; savor the irony, its pretty thick.
______ of the day: For some reason the word dunderhead comes to mind.
The ironic Ogukuo

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I'd leave a longer message, but I'm on the phone. :) You are regaling lots of stuff right now.

Melissa said...

hey you! i wrote a new blog... thought you should know since you have probably given up hope on checking it... :)