07 May 2008

A lunch date with destiny

I saw my sister and brother-in-law yesterday for the first time since Thanksgiving. It was a good time, but we only got to visit for an hour or so. We had an interesting conversation about being people-oriented vs. task-oriented. My sister tends to be quite task-oriented, something inherited from both our parents. I tend to be task-oriented mentally, but people-oriented outwardly. This means that it bugs me to be behind schedule or whatever, but I'd still rather chat and pay attention to a person. Its ironic, because this conversation made me about 40 minutes late for work. Indeed, the person was more important than the task.

How much better off would we all be if everyone was people-oriented instead of task-oriented? We're all so focused on "what we need to do" that we lose sight of the human connection. I see this at the place were I spend most of my time besides my house. Everyone is so focused on getting "stuff" done right that the people really don't matter at all. Inservice after inservice address issues dealing with how things are done, but almost nothing is said about people. Nobody cares what we do, as long as we put the right spin on it when we write about it.

But before this totally falls into a blog about stupidity, I'll just quit and find lunch.

_____ of the day: does it even matter anymore?

The laughing-because-I-don't-care Ogukuo

2 comments:

Andrea said...

Hmmmm. I feel somewhat targeted here.

Philip said...

Really?? I musta been too vague then. I was refering to my place of employment, where paperwork rules king.