16 August 2007

None of my busyness

I love my job, and I love the randomness of my work schedule to an extent. I mean, I hate set patterns, it drives me nuts to wake up to the exact same thing every day. But one thing I've noticed is that certain days are no longer special. I think this also has to do with college and life in general. Saturdays and Sundays used to be so special. I would always notice the weather on Saturdays. The rest of the week, sunny or raining didn't matter to me. But Saturdays was when we would do stuff. So it mattered if it was sunny and nice or not. So sunny Saturdays seemed all that much more sunny. And rainy Saturdays were that much more rainy. And Sundays were always very relaxed and I knew I didn't have to worry about doing anything. I could tell you how my day would go as soon as I woke up in the morning: church, relax at home, coffee time at Grandpa's, small lunch of leftovers at home, movie or (insert sports game here) on TV, nap, church, and after church was either visiting with friends or relaxing at home with a movie or board game. I loved Sundays. I know, people will rail on me because its old fashioned, and they hate any notion of being conservative or following tradition. Well, to those people I say find a new hobby, cause you are obviously bored. There were a few things we never did on Sundays, such as shop, eat out, work (unless absolutely necessary), or chores around the house. I've heard many people loudly and proudly claim that its ok to do all these things on Sunday just like any other day of the week. I don't want to get into a shouting match of whether or not its 'sinful' or wrong to do these things on a Sunday, cause people who argue against it love to yell, so it'd be nothing but inviting punishment on myself. But I just ask man for the sabboth, of sabboth for man? Anyone who knows anything knows its sabboth for man. Rest for man (I know, it'll piss off those people even more by saying 'man' instead of human or whatever, but they love being pissed off, so if they are looking for a pathetic reason, I'll take pity on them and throw them a bone). The thing I loved about Sundays was how relaxed they were. I had free time, but I wasn't worried about filling it with shopping or chores or whatever. Sadly, its too easy to run to the grocery store or eat out, or do other things on a Sunday. I don't like doing that. If my life is so busy that I don't have enough time during the rest of the week to get things done, theres something wrong with my life. Perhaps its not a sin to do those things on a Sunday, but if you are so busy the rest of the week that you need to do all those things on a Sunday, I think its a big red flag that there is something wrong with the way you are living your life. But, then again, this is coming from a guy who enjoys living life instead of making myself so busy I can't see straight. Perhaps its a character flaw on my part.
But, alas, I have fallen into soap-boxing myself, so I'll just quit now.
______ of the day: First free Sunday in weeks this weekend, yay!
The lacking rest Ogukuo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Clever title. = ) I always wanted to have homework done on Saturday so I could really rest on Sunday. Never happened. I'd wait until Sunday night at 10 to start. Not relaxing. But I like the idea of truly taking a Sabbath on Sundays. Enjoy yours. = )