22 October 2006

Half of the time we're goin, but we don't know where

So, what to say. I wish I were eloquent with words (or could at least spell them correctly, and don't correct me, I don't care). I love music. I love listening to it, learning about it and the people who make it and would love nothing more than to be able to express myself thru it. And I do somewhat with OJK, but I also wish I were able to play guitar and piano well, and most of all I wish I could write. I listen to people like S&G or Dylan or Cash and I hear how increadably simple their lyrics are, but yet still how deep. Right now I'm listening to a studio cut of S&G's 'A Poem on the Underground Wall' and I'm blown away. I mean, its a song about a kid grafitti-ing, but yet its written in such a beautiful way. And music is so powerful, too. My computer just randomly shuffled to the song ' 7 O'clock News/Silent Night'. It is the best example I can think of for a dicodamy, or whatever. I mean, the whole song is S&G singing a beautiful peaceful rendetion of Silent Night over a reading of the evening news. The news is filled with reports of celebrity drug overdoses, war, racism, politicalism, and other horrible things that seemingly (sadly) define our world in present times. The song is such a beautiful (truthful) picture of what we have blasted at us everyday, and the simple (but not really) knowledge we have of our salvation thru Christ. It seems that the evening news overtakes that fact, but in reality, like in the song, it is always there, always a part. I dunno, not only can I not write meaningful songs, I can barely write about ones that have been written.
I'm now listening to A Hundred Highways. Its Johnny Cash's last record (?). It sure sounds like the final bookend to a musical career spanning, what, 50 years?. It's probably one of the saddest album I've ever heard, but its such a painful saddness, theres also that feeling of extreme peace in it. The feeling I get when I listen to this album is that same feeling you have at a funeral for someone you have loved very much. That feeling of being wrenched to the point of not even being able to function, you can't even believe theres a tomorrow, but somehow, by no earthly power, that feeling also brings a wonderfully deep peace. Its the same peace that is found in Silent Night. That awe-inspiring, all-incompassing, way beyond anything I'll ever be able to understand fully on this earth peace from God. "And I came to believe in a power much higher than I/I came to believe that I needed help to get by."
I guess thats what I love about music, its ability to create such deep human connection between those who are sharing it. I wish I had the gift to be able to create that connection.
I hope you take something out of this post, I mean, its not eloquent writing, and probably not clear most of the time, but I mean it all.
_______ of the day: Heroes often fail
The Sunday'd Ogukuo

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I find music heartwrenching at times. Sometimes I can't even listen to it because it's so pointed and truthful to (my) human experience.

Going to Perkins tonight...wish you were coming along as my support. = ) Enjoy your family.